The Nesting Magpie

Monday 9 December 2013

{My Favourite Homeware Hotspots in Dublin}

Just in time for Christmas...

My happy place. Granted I want a lot of stuff, but this is one of the only shops I go into where I want EVERYTHING. This chain store started as a woolen mill in 1723 and is now hailed as Dublin's finest treasure trove for Irish-designed clothing, beauty products, food, kitchen equipment, books, homeware and gifts for all ages. With its infamously gorgeous cafe, deli and foodhall as well as it's amazingly creative store design, a visit to Avoca is more like a day trip than a shopping trip.


Nestled in one of my favourite places in town, the beautiful Powerscourt Town Centre, this little gem really strikes the balance between modern and retro, ornate and simplistic perfectly. It has a slightly Scandinavian vibe (although I've never been anywhere in Scandinavia so that might not be very accurate?) and would be a perfect place to find something for the men (plural. Oh, what a little minx I am!) in your life.


As you can guess from it's name, this store is a purveyor of the finest of vintage, upcycled and new industrial style furniture. Although this style has become trendy in the mainstream in recent years, a piece from Industry is no fad, it will always be beautiful in its own rustic, edgy way.


If you've walked up Wexford St., you'll probably know this as that store with the giant Buddha statues, old school chairs and flying monkeys on display. And this is why I love it.


Tourists take note; a handcut, Rob Ryan-esque map of Dublin is going to be a much more loved gift from the Emerald Isle than novelty Guinness memorabilia or overpriced Leprechaun hats. In fact, any of its modern Dublin-inspired art and stylish craftwork would make a gorgeous gift for anyone.


Dangerously close to my apartment, this is probably my favourite vintage store I've ever been in (and there have been a lot). I don't think I've ever made it 5 yards inside the door without finding at least 20 things I want. Much of their stock is sourced in France, and unlike some vintage stores, is the perfect balance of elegant and dishevelled. A haven for leather luggage, industrial style lighting and old hobby-ware such as cameras and wooden fishing nets as well as an amazing selection of clothing and accessories for both men and women.


I've written about my love of the Carolyn Donnelly range here, but if that's not your thing, DunnesHome's other designer collaboration with Paul Costello is more classic, simple and just a little bit more masculine and is a real crowd pleaser. DunnesHome's own range has really improved in the last few years, so if you haven't been in a store in a while, you will probably be very pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment