The Nesting Magpie

Saturday 14 December 2013

{Home Tour: Iris Apfel}

When a 93 year old woman who has dedicated her life to an industry often regarded as superficial and reserved  for the wealthy and fabulous comes out with a little gem like this" Don't get plastic surgery: "I think if women put some more of the time and money they put on their heads in their heads, they'd be better off." I immediately think "she's the kinda chick I want to learn more about". In fact, I've always had a huge amount of admiration for any woman in the creative industry who succeeded in spite of the patriarchal tone of the age. I could easily turn this blog into a dedication to successful women in fashion, film and music, and my fascination with how their talent and passion was enough to get them media attention. Oh, nostalgia!

Instead, I wanted to share with you all a home tour of Iris Apfel's Manhattan apartment, though not for the faint-hearted. As you can guess for her iconic fashion sense, it seems Iris Apfel follows a "more is more" approach. This is a much more blinged-out, floral patterned and Italian-crafted version of your granny's attic; full of all sorts collected over the years. But isn't that what makes it so wonderful and interesting?? No? Just me?
(All images Architectural Digest)

No comments:

Post a Comment